Week Eleven Prompt Response: eBooks & Audiobooks

Streaming Movies, Music, eBooks, eAudiobooks, eComics ...
accessed via Pinterest

Audiobooks

         I still remember one of the bookish YouTubers I follow respond to a viewer’s argument that audiobooks aren’t actually reading books. The YouTuber countered this by sharing some people are unable to read traditionally printed books. Reasons lie in visual hindrances (such as blindness or dyslexia), those who can’t hold a book, and those who have difficulty focusing on the words for extended periods of time. This certainly doesn’t discredit the validity of audio alternatives to take in stories. I like how Mediatore (2003) describes audiobooks in a positive, awesome way as “…changing a written art form into a spoken art form” (p. 319). They are indeed manifested as an art, like a live production of a live play performance. Words, sounds, and music come together to make a great audiobook that conjures up clear visuals within the imagination. As mentioned in the readings for this week, elements for an enjoyable audiobook experience include the narrator(s) matching the pace, sound, accents, and tone true to the original tale, have differing emotions and pitches in voice between characters, and any accompanying soundtracks/music matching the feel/atmosphere of the story. It’s an exciting, fun approach to storytelling for all readers, drawing from roots of oral tradition.

8yqg8 – The Voices In My Head
accessed here
         Yet another positive attribute of audiobooks is that they help books become less intimidating for reluctant readers, and for others who struggle getting through books in print-form. Mediatore (2003) mentions “listeners ‘primarily choose audio book titles that [they] are unlikely to read in print form. These are titles that [they’ve] always wanted to read but have never gotten around to [reading]’” (p. 318-19). I know for books like Gone with the Wind and The Count of Monte Cristo, I would likely want to use both print and audio versions. Oh, and the pronunciation is a plus!



80 Best A series of unfortunate events images | A series of ...
accessed via Pinterest


I have listened to two audiobooks; and from someone with a background of only reading print books, it required a shift of mindset to take in the story. I enjoyed both audiobooks, but I didn’t become an avid audiobook consumer. However, taking the time to experience two different audiobooks has helped me better apply what we’re learning to helping patrons find audiobooks. Based on working in a library, I know that who narrates books matters a great deal. One of my co-workers diligently listens to anything read by David Tennant. A friend of mine loves listening to A Series of Unfortunate Events because it is spectacularly produced, voiced, and constructed. I wholeheartedly agree.

eBooks

Literary Addicts Wednesday Meme: Ebook or Print? – Tawdra Kandle
Image from Tawdra Kandle

         Individuals who are prudish about eBooks astound me. Whereas audiobooks are literally a different way of processing information, an eBook is simply the words being read on a screen rather than paper (plus you can change background color, font size, and sometimes even the font itself!). I’ve come across several prudish individuals in person, at work in a public library, and online. Although in some cases, eBook aversions rise from a dislike (or lack of knowledge) of technology, which is fair. On the other hand, in times like our current pandemic, I’m sure there’s a spread of appreciation for technology!

Library Closed But Ebooks available all the time - Leonardo ...         The appeals of eBooks are many; environmentally friendly, ease of access, easy & cheaper to self-publish, they’re portable and light, they can be adjusted to specific user needs, there’s a multitude of titles available to browse without needing to leave the couch, and the book titles remain confidential to everyone around you… but there’s also only one tiny thing that needs to be off/wrong to ruin one’s access to the eBook. The ensuing slew of questions to patrons, too. Abridged or unabridged? What device are you going to use to read? Which app do you have/prefer? Kindle or online reading? Did you download it? Do you know your library card number & password to login? Did you make a free account with the eBook provider? Okay you’ll need to reset that password, which is different than your library pin… I personally dislike helping with eBooks over phone; oftentimes it just requires some tinkering with the devise in person to get it working.

         Ebooks have a huge patronage, but there’s the annoyance of number of copies available through libraries. After going through the eBook readings, I became jealous of ignorance of not needing to worry about eBook licensing use and vendors, which lead into disputes between booksellers and libraries; or monetary “wars” to quote Vinjamuri (2012). I still get mad thinking about Macmillan embargo to give libraries ONE COPY of new eBook titles for the first 2 months after its release (ALA Turns… p. 10). But the shared goal between booksellers and libraries is to keep people reading books, who in turn would keep buying from bookstores as well as check them out from libraries. The low risk, free access to books at libraries could make a patron a dedicated “automatic buyer” of series/authors from bookstores. I liked how Dunneback (2011) describes, “Books are the brand of libraries. All formats of books. All. Formats” (p. 327). Of both audiobooks and eBooks, I think Dunneback (2011) sums it up perfectly; “We are experts in connecting readers to books. Those skills will carry us into the future no matter the format” (p. 328).

Resources

ALA Turns to Congress Amid Macmillan Ebook Embargo. (2020). American Libraries, 51(1/2), 10.

Dunneback, K., & Trott, B. (2011). E-books and Readers’ Advisory. Reference & User Services Quarterly, 50(4), 325–329. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

Mediatore, K. (2003). Reading with Your Ears: Readers’ Advisory and Audio Books. Reference & User Services Quarterly, 42(4), 318. Retrieved from JSTOR.

Scardilli, B. (2020). What’s New With the Biggest Ebook Retailers. Information Today, 37(1), 18–20. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

Robinson, M. (2017). Lessons learned from promoting audiobooks. The Bookseller. Retrieved from https://link-gale-com.proxy.ulib.uits.iu.edu/apps/doc/A498846799/LitRC?u=iulib_iupui&sid=LitRC&xid=d2987b6a

Vinjamuri, D. (2012). The Wrong War Over EBooks: Publishers vs. Libraries. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidvinjamuri/2012/12/11/the-wrong-war-over-ebooks-publishers-vs-libraries/#543b305a6da0

Comments

  1. I love the graphic at the top of your response! I was a strong resister of e-readers when they first started coming out. I love the smell of the paper and ink, and holding the book in my hands, and collecting favorites, and most of all how they look on my many bookshelves, LOL. But a trip to Korea a couple years ago caused me to purchase a tablet, which served as ebook, audiobook, camera, and access to my email and FB during my two weeks out of country. What a lifesaver!

    Although I never read ebooks except when I travel, I listen to audiobooks on my tablet every single day! As such a huge consumer of audiobooks, I found Cahill and Moore's discussion of the production process especially interesting. There are so many aspects that I have always just taken for granted, such as matching the voice/age of the voice actor to the age of the character, getting the pacing right, splicing together various takes, etc. And even though I prefer no music or sound effects in my audiobooks, I will now have a much better appreciation for the attention to detail that is required to include it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Very well said! I love when I see defenders of audiobooks. I've been told several times that listening to an audiobook is not actually reading, and even though I'm not visually impaired, I bring that up because even telling them "I don't have time," never seems to be a good enough argument. I would never have been able to read as many books in the past without audios playing in my car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that Series of Unfortunate Events meme, haha! "However, taking the time to experience two different audiobooks has helped me better apply what we’re learning to helping patrons find audiobooks." I 100% agree, and I'm working on making sure I have those experiences so I can help patrons who do fall in love with formats I'm less familiar with. I find it so ironic that humanity began with oral storytelling, and now we consider the printed page to be the lauded standard. That's always my argument when I find someone who thinks audiobooks are inferior. And, as is the case with any accessibility argument, making things easier for those of us with additional challenges invariably makes things easier for ALL. Thanks for the laughs and the insightful thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the laugh, I needed those memes :) Great job on addressing lots of issues (positive and negative) that both of those formats have. I hate when people say audiobooks don't count. They're full of it! lol. Wonderful, as always, full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts