My Reading Profile


I don’t recall a long period of time when my parents read books aloud to me, since I quickly became an independent reader. The earliest books I loved reading were The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale and Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. I latched onto the fantasy genre because of Hale’s and Levine’s stories, and as an adult, re-reading their books feels like I’m seeing an old friend. I devoured every middle-grade fantasy book I could get my hands on, plus some realistic fiction like Judy Moody and The Boxcar Children. When I became a teenager, I practically only read YA fantasy books.

Growing up, I had thought I loved books; my siblings and I went to the library at least once a week. But when I started working toward a degree in English in 2016 (from Mount St. Joseph University in Cincinnati, OH), I found that I really loved books and storytelling. I developed a newfound respect for authors and books. I learned about stories from unique cultures, analyzed classic texts and discovered how they are more than just stories, but often reflections of history, society, and culture. I learned that for most writers, stories manifest after months and years of labor, with a purposeful, careful focus on relaying themes and messages to reach and touch as many readers as possible.

In college, I started to develop a love of classics and realistic fiction. My MLIS classes have expanded my readership too, especially of historical fiction & nonfiction, nonfiction in general, graphic novels, and middle-grade. Although I would still say YA fantasy books remain my favorite; I never tire of being totally swept off to unique worlds full of magic. But I’m starting to expand my book choices to adult; I’m currently reading the first book of the Outlander series. I'm also continuing my Goodreads obsession, and am constantly adding new books to read. 

I love how there’s always something new to discover in books, and there’s no shortage of unique stories to choose from. In this course, I hope to develop a better understanding of conducting awesome adult reader’s advisory that could either help patrons stretch from their original reading “comfort zone” as I have done, or discover new books that impact them so vividly that they give glowing reviews of their experience reading the book when they return to the library. Taking time to focus on learning about quality adult books beyond the obvious popular authors will be important for me to know, since I don't widely read adult materials. As mentioned in our "History & Intro" reading, keeping aware and being knowledgeable of books highly liked by other adult readers is key to reader's advisory because "...advisors, past and present, need a general knowledge of fiction and nonfiction collections, an ability to recognize the quality of the books they suggest, and the ability to describe books well, both orally and in writing" (p. 7). I'm confident that this will a fun and productive journey! 

Comments

  1. Hi Brittany,
    Have you read the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull? I found that to be a fun entry in the middle-school-age fantasy genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Fablehaven series before! I just read the synopsis of book 1, it definitely looks like something I'd enjoy. Thanks!

      I have also started to read The Chronicles of Prydain; have you read those? The books inspired the Disney movie "The Black Cauldron," but of course the books are loads better, and not as needlessly frightening as the movie was! (at least to childhood me, the movie was scary)

      Delete
  2. Aw, we have so much in common! I adore books and the new places that they can sweep me off to, the different lenses I get to see the world through, the voices and differences in language that I get to hear. When reading Where the Crawdads Sing on vacation, my husband commented on how long it was taking him to get into the vernacular. I hadn't even noticed it as much in that title as in others, but it's one of my favorite things. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ella Enchanted really took me back! Congrats on almost earning your MLIS. Do you ever look at your Goodreads To Read list and think, "how can I ever read all of these before I die?" I don't mean to be morbid--just that I wish I had many more lifetimes to fit them all in! Looking forward to reading your annotations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also enjoy watching the movie adaptation of Ella Enchanted. It is totally different, but I think it does a good job capturing part of the charm of the original book. I certainly feel a bit sad regarding I'll never quite read every book I've been wanting to read, especially because there's always more! And I'm one of those readers who typically has to finish every book I start. However, I think when I get older I'll start being more selective in the books I read, or at least giving myself the freedom to "yes, you can stop reading this book and be okay." :P

      Delete
  4. Hi Brittany,

    I loved what you had to say about reading books and discovering how they represent the society and culture of the time they were written. That is my favorite part about reading some older books. Even when I do not necessarily like the plot of a book, I can appreciate what it represents and the themes it expresses.
    Also, like you, I am usually drawn to YA fantasy, but am excited to read other genres and expand my knowledge. I think I am most excited to explore the horror and mysteries genres. What genre(s) are you most looking forward to exploring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading thriller books; I love watching thrilling, action movies, but I had yet to expand to read adult thrillers. I finished Gone Girl, and I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed it!

      Delete
  5. I am still a sucker for young adult fantasy and there are certain books I will re-read every few years just so I can go back into that world once again. Great reading profile, you're passionate and that will take you a long way in this field!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts